Our Keto Turkish Chicken Soup has all of the flavor and none of the carbs! This is a nutritious, easy soup recipe that’s perfect for cold weather. This can be served as a light main dish or as a side dish. After seeing this recipe trending on TikTok, we knew that we had to make our own low carb version!
To get the most flavor out of this soup, we suggest using bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks (skin removed). The bones will add the add more flavor to the base and the chicken will stay tender. You can of course use a whole chicken or shredded chicken breast. Whatever you prefer!
The Turkish Way
This soup starts off like most chicken soup recipes. It consists of grated carrots, onion and celery. However the turkish flavors come in with the spices. Traditionally this soup is made with Pul biber (Aleppo pepper). If this spice isn’t available to you, you can use any chili powder.
Here’s what really makes the soup special. Mix together one egg yolk, two tablespoons of plain yogurt and lemon juice until smooth. Temper the yogurt mixture with the hot soup broth before adding it into the pot. This will keep the mixture creamy and not sramble the eggs. This finishing touch really brings this soup to the next level. I suggest making a big batch of this because you’ll definitely want this for leftovers!
Keto Turkish Chicken Soup (Terbiyeli Tavuk Çorbası)
- 8 Cups Chicken Broth
- 700 Grams Bone-In Chicken Thighs Skin Removed. About 5-6 Chicken Thighs.
- 200 Grams Carrot Grated.
- 100 Grams Celery Diced.
- 100 Grams Onion Diced.
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced.
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Salt To Taste.
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Pul Biber Aleppo Pepper or Chili Powder.
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 2 Tbsp Plain Yogurt
- Juice of Half a Lemon
- Remove the skin off the from the chicken thighs and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Sear the chicken thighs for about 3-5 minutes until golden brown but not cooked all the way through. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, grated carrot and all of the spices to the pot. Sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Add the chicken thighs back into the pot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Skim off the foam from the soup.
- After an hour, remove the chicken thighs from the soup and shred. Discard the bones and add the chicken back into the soup.
- In a bowl, whisk together 1 egg yolk, yogurt and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Temper the yogurt mixture by slowly mixing in a few spoons of the chicken broth.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add in the yogurt mixture.
- Serve Immediately and enjoy!