For our Low Carb Tater Tot Casserole we use veggie tots to keep the carbs low. This American comfort dish is a quick and easy dinner that the whole family will love!
Tater Tot Casserole Filling
Our Low Carb Tater Tot Casserole uses ground beef with frozen peas and carrots. It is common to use corn in this casserole but to lower the carbs we opted for peas and carrots which we usually have on hand. You can swap this out for any low carb veggies of your choice, like green beans!
For our casserole we like to use the Green Giant Veggie Tots. The cauliflower veggie tots are higher in carbs and the nutrition information is actually similar to regular tater tots. They have 15g of carbs with 2g of fiber per serving. The Green Giant Broccoli & Cheddar Veggie Tots have 14g of carbs with 5g of fiber per serving. This makes the Broccoli & Cheddar Veggie Tots only 9g of net carbs per serving, making it more suitable for a low carb diet. Feel free to use whatever brand of veggie tots that you prefer, just remember to read the nutrition label!
Low Carb Tater Tot Casserole Sauce
Typically this dish uses a full can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. Surprisingly 1 can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup has about 16 carbs! To lower the carb count, we use only half the can of soup, add heavy cream and sour cream. This keeps the carbs low and the same flavour profile as the original dish.
Low Carb Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 9x9" Baking Dish
- 1 Package Green Giant Broccoli & Cheese Veggie Tots 454 grams, Or Equivalent.
- 500 Grams Regular Ground Beef
- 2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese Divided.
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
- 50 Grams White Onion Diced.
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Garlic Clove Minced.
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Can No Salt Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2-1 Tsp Salt To Taste.
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Chicken Better Than Bouillion Or Equivalent.
- Preheat Oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet melt 1 tbsp of butter and sauté diced white onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- To the same pan, add the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain off excess moisture if desired.
- Add the frozen peas and carrots to the pan and sauté for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan add all of the sauce ingredients and cook until bubbly (do not boil).
- Mix the sauce with the cooked ground beef mixture
- In a 9x9 baking dish, layer the mixed ground beef, sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese and top with the veggie tots.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes uncovered until tots are crispy and golden brown.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake for another 5-8 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- 489 Calories
- 20.2g Carbohydrates
- 6.3g Fiber
- 32.5g Fat
- 30.5g Protein