Our Keto Lebanese Stuffed Zucchini in Yogurt (Kousa Bil Laban) is made with spiced ground beef and cauliflower rice. It is topped with a mint yogurt sauce and roasted pine nuts!
Is Stuffed Zucchini Keto?
Yes! Zucchini is a low carb veggie with 2.1g of net carbs per 100 grams. We keto-fy this traditional recipe by replacing the rice with cauliflower rice. Also cornstarch is typically used to thicken the mint yogurt sauce, we skip this step to keep it keto.
Our Keto Lebanese Stuffed Zucchini uses grey zucchini which is very similar to green zucchini. Grey zucchini is more stocky with a rounded end. The taste is very similar to a green zucchini.
In this recipe we hallow out the zucchini to stuff it with a spiced beef / cauliflower rice mixture. Save the pulp from the zucchini as it delicious with scrambled eggs and cheese!
To toast the pine nuts, add them to a small pan and turn the heat to medium low. Stir constantly or toss the skillet to not burn the pine nuts. It will take approximately 3-5 minutes to toast them.
Keto Lebanese Stuffed Zucchini in Yogurt (Kousa Bil Laban)
- 750 Grams Grey Zuchinni Top Removed, Hallowed Out. Approx. 4-5 Medium Zuchinni
- 300 Grams Regular Ground Beef
- 100 Grams Frozen Cauliflower Rice Drained.
- 50 Grams White Onion Diced.
- 25 Grams Pine Nuts
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil Divided.
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 3/4 Tsp 7 Spice Or All Spice.
- 3/4 Tsp Dried Dill
- 1/2-1 Tsp Salt To Taste.
- 2-4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth Enough to fill the pot halfway with the zucchini.
- 1 Cup Full Fat Plain Yogurt
- 3/4 Tsp Dried Mint
- 1 Garlic Clove Minced.
- Salt To Taste.
- 25 Grams Pine Nuts Garnish.
- Remove the stem top off of the zucchini and carefully hallow out. Set aside.
- Heat the cauliflower rice in a pan or in the microwave. Allow to cool and squeeze out the moisture with a kitchen towel.
- Gently toast pine nuts and set aside; about 3-5 minutes.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté diced onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of tomato paste and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Remove the cooked onions and tomato paste from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl thoroughly combine drained cauliflower rice, cooked onions with tomato paste, ground beef, salt, 7 spice, dried dill, fresh parsley, 25 grams toasted pine nuts, egg, and 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Fill the hallowed out zucchini with the beef mixture.
- Place the stuffed zucchini in a large pot.
- Fill the large pot halfway with chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes until zucchini is tender and meat is cooked through. The stuffed zuccchini will continue to cook for another 10 minutes in the yogurt sauce.
- Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, dried mint, garlic and salt to a large skillet and heat through.
- When the stuffed zucchini is done cooking in the broth, carefully place the stuffed zucchini in the yogurt sauce. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the stuffed zucchini with the yogurt sauce and extra toasted pine nuts.
- 417 Calories
- 14.3g Carbohydrates
- 4.7g Fiber
- 30.4g Fat
- 26.7g Protein