Our Roasted Red Pepper Zucchini Lasagna is low carb and keto-friendly! This lighter lasagna has all of the flavor and is a twist on traditional lasagna with the roasted red peppers and prosciutto. This lasagna is packed with veggies and is low carb, keto and gluten-free.
Our favorite way to make zucchini lasagna is to thinly slice a large zucchini lengthwise. Make the slices very thin 1/8″ with a vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer. You can overlap the zucchini ribbons while assembling the lasagna to make it more sturdy.
Zucchini holds a lot of moisture. Before assembling the lasagna, you’ll want to drain the moisture. Once the zucchini is sliced, lightly salt to draw out the moisture and place in between kitchen towels to absorb the moisture. Do this for a minimum of 10 minutes or the night before. Alternatively you can place the salted sliced zucchini in the oven for about 10 minutes to draw out the moisture.
Another tip to creating the perfect zucchini lasagna is to choose a large zucchini. We prefer to use the outer portion of the zucchini and avoid the middle with the seeds. This creates the best texture for the lasagna. A larger zucchini will also allow for a margin of error when slicing the zucchini. You can use the leftover zucchini in the morning with an omelette!
Roasted Red Peppers
What really makes this lasagna stand out is the use of the roasted red peppers. We use the Dalla Terra Roasted Peppers. The small jar, 500 ml is enough to make the lasagna. Any brand of roasted red peppers will work, or you can make your own!
We love using prosciutto in our zucchini lasagna. The saltiness pairs nicely with the fresh veggies and sharp cheese. If you don’t like prosciutto you can substitute any thinly sliced Italian deli meat such as capocollo or salami. You can even do a mixture of different deli meats.
How to Assemble the Zucchini Lasagna
Place a small amount of marinara sauce to the bottom of the baking dish. Layer the sliced zucchini on top. Note: You can overlap the zucchini (as shown above) to make a more sturdy row.
Add approx. 1/4 cup of marinara sauce on top of the zucchini slices.
Top with prosciutto.
Next, add the roasted red pepper on top of the zucchini. Cut the pepper in half lengthwise so that it mostly covers the baking dish,
Add a generous amount of spinach followed by the parmesan and mozzarella cheese blend. Repeat until all the ingredients are used. This will make approx. 3 layers. Final layer to be zucchini, marinara sauce and remainder of cheese.
Roasted Red Pepper Zucchini Lasagna
- Vegetable Peeler or Mandolin Slicer
- 9x9" Baking Dish
- 200 Grams Sliced Zucchini, 1/8th inch thick ribbons Slice Zucchini with a Vegetable Peeler or Mandolin Slicer.
- 3/4 Cups Marinara Sauce Such as Rao's Marinara Sauce.
- 2.5 Cups Mozzarella Grated.
- 1/2 Cup Parmigiano Reggiano Grated.
- 1 500ml Jar Roasted Red Peppers Approx. 240 Grams of Peppers.
- 50 Grams Spinach
- 150 Grams Prosciutto
- Red Pepper Flakes Garnish.
- Fresh Basil Garnish.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/8" thick slices using a vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer.
- Lightly salt the zucchini ribbons and place in between kitchen towels to absorb the moisture. Let sit for at least 10 minutes or overnight covered in the fridge. NOTE: You can also bake the zucchini slices for about 10 minutes to remove the moisture.
- Combine the mozzarella cheese and parmesan.
- In a 9x9 baking dish, add a small amount of sauce to the bottom of the pan.
- Assemble the Lasagna: - Layer the zucchini ribbons- A 1/4 cup of marinara sauce on top of the zucchini slices.- Layer the prosciutto slices over the marinara sauce. - Add the roasted red pepper (cut in half lengthwise to cover the dish)- Generously place the spinach and cheese blend on top of the roasted red pepper. - Repeat until all of the ingredients are used (approx. 3 layers). The final layer to be zucchini slices, marinara sauce and cheese blend.
- Top the lasagna with a pinch of red pepper flakes. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the lasagna sit for about 20 minutes before cutting into it (this will prevent it from falling apart).
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- 277 Calories
- 9.2g Carbohydrates
- 1.2g Fiber
- 18g Fat
- 22.8g Protein