Quiche has been one of my favorite foods for as long as I can remember. However, it wasn’t until my early 20s when I had a proper, creamy quiche from a local French bakery. Since then, I’ve been trying to find the perfect ways to bake a quiche at home. This recipe is a keto adaptation from the Duchess at Home cookbook . This Apple Leek & Brie Quiche uses a small amount of apples for subtle sweetness while still keeping the carbs low. We pair this with our Savory Keto Pie Crust for a rich and elegant dish.
This recipe is intended for a large 9-inch deep pie dish. If you’re using a regular pie dish you’ll only need 1 batch of our Savory Keto Pie Crust and you will have some filling leftover. It’s important to note that this will impact the cooking time. Keep an eye on your quiche around 45 minutes, being careful not to overcook it.
Begin by washing and trimming 1 leek and thinly slice. In a pan, sauté the sliced leeks with butter until caramelized. This will take approx. 10-15 minutes. Once caramelized, the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of French cider. To lower the carbs, I’ve reduced the cider to 1/4 cup. You can also use unsweetened apple juice (this is what I use and love the result). The apples and juice in this recipe are very minimal, so the total carbs are well within a keto diet. Once the juice or cider as reduced, stir in the diced apples. Below is what the filling should like once these steps are complete.
(Caramelized Leeks, Reduced Unsweetened Apple Juice and Diced Apples)
Along using our Savory Keto Pie Crust, we made a few other adaptations to make this Apple Leek and Brie Quiche to fit within a keto or low carb diet. The original recipe uses Camembert Cheese, however we use Brie which is very similar. Brie has a more mild and buttery aroma compared to the earthy scent of Camembert. You can use whichever cheese you prefer. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of whole milk, which we have swapped out for unsweetened almond milk. This adds a nice lightness to the filling.
When baking the quiche, it’s important to cover the edges of the pie crust with aluminum foil. Since the crust is made with almond flour, it can burn quite easily. Baking time will also vary depending on the size and material of your pie dish. I suggest to start checking your quiche at around 45 minutes. I use a ceramic pie dish and my oven is slightly older, I need just over 1 hour to fully cook the quiche. Check to see if your quiche is set by sticking a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, it’s done. Be sure not to overcook your quiche. If you do, it won’t be as creamy as it should be. I actually prefer to slightly undercook my quiche by 2-3 minutes, especially if I know that there will be leftovers. Once done baking, let the quiche cool for about 10-15 minutes. This will help the filling settle and your slices will come out clean without the filling falling apart.
Savory Keto Pie Crust
- 9" Tarte Pan
- Blender or Food Processor
- 112 grams Almond Flour Equivalent to 1 cup.
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour Equivalent to 2 tbsp.
- 1 Large Egg Lightly beaten.
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Butter Cubbed, Cold.
- Preheat Oven to 375°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until combined.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Make sure not to over-process the dough.
- Remove mixture from the blender or food processor.
- Knead the ingredients for a few seconds until thoroughly combined. Combine mixture into a ball. Cover with saran wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled. Place the mixture into the pie plate on the bottom and firmly up the sides.
- Prick the pie crust all over with a fork before baking.
- Bake uncovered for 12-15 minutes until slightly golden.
- 202 Calories
- 5.4g Carbohydrates
- 2.8g Fiber
- 17.8g Fat
- 5.4g Protein
Apple Leek & Brie Quiche
- 9 Inch Pie Dish
- 2 Batches of our Savory Keto Pie Crust. This is for a 9-inch deep pie dish. If using a regular pie dish, only use 1 batch of our Savory Keto Pie Crust.
- 1 tbsp Butter.
- 50 grams Leek, cleaned, white part only, thinly sliced. About 1 Leek.
- 50 grams Diced apple, peeled & cored.
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Apple Juice or French cider.
- 125 grams Diced Brie.
- 3 Eggs
- 2 1/4 cups Heavy Whipping Cream.
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk.
- 1 tsp Salt.
- 2 tbsp Almond Flour.
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper.
- Preheat Oven to 375°F
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté leeks until caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once caramelized, add the cider or unsweetened apple juice and scrape the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until most of the juice has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and add diced apples. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Add the eggs to the flour mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly pour in tbe whipping cream and almond milk and continue to mix until combined.
- Pour the filling into a 9-inch deep pie dish (with pre cooked pie shell) and sprinkle the diced brie cheese, leeks, and apples on top of the mixture. NOTE: If using a regular size pie dish, you will have leftover filling.
- Cover the edges of the pie crust with aluminum foil (almond flour tends to burn easily) and bake in the oven for approx 60 minutes. Depending on your oven and pie dish you may need more or less time. Start checking the quiche at around 45 minutes.
- Once the center is barely set, remove the quiche from the oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve on its own or with a simple side salad and enjoy!
- 640 Calories
- 9.5g Carbohydrates
- 3.6g Fiber
- 60.9g Fat
- 14g Protein
This Apple Leek and Brie Quiche is such an elegant dish that I plan on serving up Christmas morning. It takes a bit of time in the oven, but is otherwise pretty easy to make! Save some time by preparing the crust a day or two a head. Let us know in the comments below if you’ve tried our Keto Apple Leek and Brie Quiche! If you’re looking for more keto or low carb recipes, visit our recipe page.