Bungeoppang is a Korean name for Japanese taiyaki. It is usually filled with Nutella, sweet red bean paste or custard. For this keto version we have found keto substitute for Nutella and our own recipe for homemade sweet red bean paste! Don’t worry, we only use a small amount of red bean paste so it easily fits within a keto diet.
Our waffle batter is completely gluten-free and keto! We use a combination of eggs, cream cheese and almond flour. This results in a soft texture. Just combine all ingredients into a blender and they’re good to go!
Keto Nutella (Hazelnut Spread)
There are two brands of keto “Nutella” that I recommend. The most popular is the Choczero Keto Chocolate Hazelnut Spread. Another brand that is a little bit easier to find here in Canada is the NutiLight Sugar Free Hazelnut Spread.
Sweet Red Bean Paste
Traditional sweet red bean paste is all carbs! But we make our own at home with stevia or erythritol. Sweet red bean paste is made with azuki beans.
How to Make Low Carb Sweet Red Bean Paste:
- Rinse the Azuki beans.
- Add the Azuki beans to a large pot and cover with water. Water should be 1-2 inches above the beans.
- Bring water to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, discard the water and add the beans back to the same pot.
- Add new water to the Azuki beans with the water 1-2 inches above the beans.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 1.5 hours.
- You can add a drop lid or plate on top of the beans to keep the beans from moving around.
- Throughout the cooking process keep an eye on the water. You should always have enough water to fully cover the beans.
- The beans are ready when you can easily mash it with your finger.
- Once done cooking, discard the water and slowly stir in the sweetener (stevia, erythritol etc) and a pinch of salt.
*Use equal parts sweetner to beans. Example 1 cup dry beans = 1 cup sweetener.
(No Sugar Added Sweet Red Bean Paste)
Sweet Red Bean Paste Nutrition Information / Tbsp:
- 14 Calories
- 4.3g Carbs
- 2.4g Fiber
- 0g Fat
- 1.6g Protein
Net Carbs: 1.9g / Tbsp
How to Make Keto Bungeoppang or Japanese Taiyaki:
These are very simple to make and are great for a weekend breakfast or as a treat!
- Preheat the waffle iron and add a small amount of batter. Let to cook for about 1-2 minutes. Afterwards, add 1 tbsp of filling.
2.) Add the remaining batter. Be careful not to overfill as the batter will expand once it cooks.
3.) Once the batter is added, quickly flip it over and cook for about 4 minutes.
4.) Flip over the waffle iron one more time and check to see if cooked through.
5.) Once cooked, the Bungeoppang should be a golden brown color.
Keto Bungeoppang (Korean Fish Shaped Pastry)
- Bungeoppang Taiyaki Fish Waffle Maker
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 4 oz Cream Cheese Room Temp, Equivalent to 113 grams.
- 3 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp Butter Room Temp.
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sweetener Erythritol, Stevia, etc.
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Xanthan Gum
- 5 Tbsp Keto Nutella or Homemade Sweet Red Bean Paste 1 tbsp of filling per bungeoppang. See notes above for how to make homemade sweet red bean paste.
- Combine all ingredients except for the filling in a blender and blend until combined.
- Heat the Fish Waffle Maker on medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking oil.
- Once heated, add a small amount of batter to the waffle maker (about half the amount) and let cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of filling on top of the batter and top with more batter mixture on top to cover the fish mould.
- Close the waffle maker and quickly flip over.
- With the waffle maker still closed, cook for about 4 minutes.
- Quickly flip over the waffle maker again and check to see if cooked through.
- The bungeoppang should be golden brown and easily removed from the waffle maker.
- Set the bungeoppang aside let cool for a few minutes before serving.
*With Nutri Light No Sugar Added Hazelnut Spread
- 365 Calories
- 13g Carbohydrates
- 6g Fiber
- 4g Sugar Alcohols
- 31g Fat
- 9g Protein
*Choc Zero Keto Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 345 Calories
- 11.5 Carbohydrates
- 9g Fiber
- 34g Fat
- 9g Protein
*Homemade Sweet Red Bean Paste
- 279 Calories
- 7.3g Carbohydrates
- 3.4g Fiber
- 24g Fat
- 9.6g Protein