Jump to Recipe
This Keto Soupe Au Pistou is a low carb adaptation to the traditional vegetable soup from the French region of Provence. This is an end of summer soup that is very similar to a minestrone. When serving this soup a dollop of pistou (similar to pesto) is added to the bowl.
In this soup we add our favorite low carb vegetables such as zucchini, leeks and a bit of tomatoes. We also add carrot to our soup as carrots always add a great flavor. It is said though that carrots aren’t typically added to this soup because they are a winter vegetable.
Typically green beans, canned white navy or kidney beans, and potatoes are added to this soup. While you can definitely still add green beans (these are keto-friendly), we’ve chosen to leave these out to lower the carb count. Of course potatoes and white navy or kidney beans are not suitable for a keto diet.
Pistou is very similar to Italian pesto. The only difference is that pistou does not have pine nuts. Pistou is made with fresh basil, olive oil and parmesan-reggiano. We’ve added tomato paste to our pistou, but this is optional.
Low Carb Pasta
Some recipes for Soupe Au Pistou have pasta, such as elbow pasta. If you can find a low carb pasta, we recommend added this to make the soup more filling. Here are some recommendations:
Ciao Carb High-Protein Pasta – 7g Net Carbs / Serving. This will add another 1.4g of net carbs to your overall dish per serving.
Thinslim Impastable Low Carb Pasta – 8g Net Carbs / Serving. This will add another 1.6g of net carbs to your overall dish per serving.
Konjac Pasta – 0g Net Carbs / Serving. This is easy to find at most grocery stores.
Keto Soupe Au Pistou
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 100 Grams Diced Onion or Thinly Sliced Leeks
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced.
- 500 Grams Diced Zucchini
- 145 Grams Diced Carrots About 2 carrots.
- 300 Grams Diced Tomatoes About 2 tomatoes.
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 5 Cups Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt To Taste.
- Pepper To Taste.
- 56 Grams Low Carb Pasta Optional.
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan-Reggiano
- 50 Grams Fresh Basil
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions or leeks and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add diced zucchini, carrot, tomato and fresh thyme to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add wine and cook until mostly evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth or water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer and cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pistou.
- Add all pistou ingredients to a mortar and pestle or food processor. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- If using low carb pasta, add this to the pot and cook until done according to the package.
- Serve soup immediately with a dollop (1-2 tbsp) of fresh pistou.
- 117 Calories
- 10.5g Carbohydrates
- 2.5g Fiber
- 6.9g Fat
- 4.4g Protein
- 136 Calories
- 1.9g Carbohydrates
- 0.3g Fiber
- 13.2g Fat
- 3.8g Protein
Let us know in the comments below if you’ve tried our Keto Soupe Au Pistou. If you’re looking for more keto recipes, visit our recipe page.