Hollandaise sauce is a classic recipe that any home cook should master. It is naturally a keto recipe made with egg yolks, butter, lemon juice and a bit of salt. For this Keto White Wine Hollandaise Sauce we make this on the stove-top with a fool proof method. This is an elegant recipe that is inspired by our favorite local German brunch spot. It is a crowd pleaser that keto and non-keto eaters will love!
How to Make Hollandaise Sauce
Making hollandaise sauce from scratch can seem like a daunting task. With a little bit of prep work and some practice, you’ll find that making stovetop hollandaise is easy! Seriously, we like this method even more than the blender method.
Step 1: Over high heat add 1/4 cup of dry white wine to the saucepan. Once boiling, add cubed butter to the saucepan and melt. Once the butter has melted, vigorously whisk the wine and butter together. Note: If you prefer not to use wine, you can replace the wine with water.
Step 2: Reduce the heat to medium. Add the salt and lemon juice to the saucepan and whisk together.
Step 3: Reduce the heat to low. Add the 3 egg yolks to the saucepan and whisk vigorously until a thick sauce as formed. The sauce should start thickening after 1 minute. Note: While whisking, keep an eye on you sauce being careful not to overheat/scramble your eggs!
Step 4: Once your sauce is ready, stir in some herbs for extra flavor (this step is optional).
If your sauce is too thick, whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of hot water. If your sauce is too thin, you may need slightly higher heat.
That’s it! We’ve always had success making hollandaise with this technique. It is easy and is all done in 1 pot for an easy cleanup.
Surprisingly wine doesn’t contain as many carbs as you think! For this recipe we use a dry white wine which has approximately 3.8g of carbohydrates per 5 fl oz. This recipe makes 6 servings at only 0.5g of net carbs per serving.
To take our sauce to the next level we love to add some herbs to the mix. You change this up depending on your taste, and you can use either fresh or dried. We typically use dill in our sauce but chives or tarragon will be equally delicious!
White Wine Hollandaise Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 8 Tbsp Butter Equivalent to 1 stick of butter. Cold, cubbed.
- 1/2-1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Dill or Chives
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 Tsp Salt Or to taste.
- Pepper To taste.
- Over high heat add 1/4 cup of dry white wine to the saucepan. Once boiling, add cubed butter to the saucepan and melt. Once the butter has melted, vigorously whisk the wine and butter together.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the salt and lemon juice to the saucepan with wine (or water if not using wine) and whisk together.
- Add in the egg yolks and continue whisking. Keep an eye on the heat. You may need to move the pan on and off the heat to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Continue vigorously whisking and the sauce will star to thicken after about 1 minute. Tip: If your sauce isn't thickening, you may have to slightly turn up the heat.
- Once the sauce has formed, stir in your herbs for extra flavor (optional).
- The sauce is meant to be served warm (not hot). Serve immediately and enjoy!
- 183 Calories
- 0.5g Carbohydrates
- 0g Fiber
- 17.1g Fat
- 3.2g Protein
Serve your white wine hollandaise on poached eggs, salmon or asparagus. What is your favorite way to enjoy hollandaise? I’d love to hear if you’ve tried this method for this keto hollandaise sauce! Want more keto and low carb recipes? Visit our recipe index!