Jump to Recipe
You’ll never miss Chinese takeout again with this Keto Sweet and Sour Pork! After seeing many people post about Keto Orange Chicken, I knew that I had to recreate one of my favorite western Chinese take-out dishes.
To get the pork crispy and lightweight we use unflavored whey protein powder. This is a great low carb substitute for cornstarch. It’s surprising but when the whey protein powder is fried, it creates a nice and crispy exterior! Normally protein powder leaves a bit of an aftertaste, but with our sugar-free sauce it completely covers the flavor.
For the keto “breading”, first cut the pork into 2″ pieces and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Season with salt and pepper. Then dip the pork pieces into a whisked egg and the unflavored whey protein. Once the coated pork rests, the whey protein will become clear. But don’t worry, it will still crisp up once fried! Take your time and work in batches, otherwise the pork pieces will stick together.
Okay, there is no such thing as natural keto honey. It’s pure sugar and there’s no way around that. Thankfully, there are a few keto honey substitutes. They have the texture and sweetness of natural honey. They work perfectly for sauces and are especially perfect for our Keto Sweet and Sour Pork. For this recipe we us the Natures Hallow Sugar Free Honey Substitute. You may use any similar products or a homemade keto honey recipe. The keto honey adds sweetness and creates a nice glaze on the pork.
Keto Sweet and Sour Pork
- 850 grams Pork Shoulder Or your preferred cut of pork. Cut into 1-2" pieces.
- 3 Eggs Whisked.
- 1.5 cups Unflavored Whey Protein
- 100 grams White Onion 100 grams, roughly chopped into 1" size pieces.
- 1 Green Pepper 125 grams, roughly chopped into 1" size pieces.
- 1 Red Bell Pepper 125 grams, roughly chopped into 1" size pieces.
- 1 tsp Pepper To taste.
- 1 tsp Salt To taste.
- Neutral Oil For frying, about 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp.
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1/2 cup Keto Honey Nature's Hollow Sugar Free Honey Substitute. Or equivalent.
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste or Sugar-Free Ketchup
- 4 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 6 tbsp White Vinegar or Rice Vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum To thicken the sauce.
- Over low heat, whisk all sauce ingredients (except the xanthan gum) to a pot and set aside once combined.
- Cut pork into 2"cubes and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip the pork into the whisked egg mixture and then the unflavored whey protein.
- Repeat until all of the pork is coated.
- In a large pan, heat neutral oil over medium high heat.
- Once oil is sizzling, fry pork for about 2-3 minutes per side once golden. Work in batches, be careful not to overcrowd the pan!
- After frying the pork, discard the oil and add 1 tbsp of oil to the pan. Add the onion, red pepper and green pepper to the pan. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the fried pork and sauce to the pan with the vegetables and sprinkle the xanthan gum,
- Stir together until the sauce thickens and all ingredients are combined. About 1-2 minutes.
- 448 Calories
- 6.4g Carbohydrates
- 1.5g Fiber
- 24g Fat
- 47.3g Protein
Let us know in the comments below if you’ve tried our Keto Sweet and Sour Pork! If you’re looking for more keto recipes, visit our recipe page!