Syrniki are traditional pancakes from Eastern Europe made with farmers cheese, they are also known as tvorog pancakes. These sweet cheese pancakes are a delicious, easy treat or breakfast. For our Keto Syrniki we replace traditional flour with coconut flour, making these only 1 net carb per serving!
These traditional pancakes are made with homemade farmers cheese or (aka Tvorog). If you cannot find farmers cheese in your area, you can use paneer (Indian cottage cheese), dry cottage cheese or well-drained ricotta cheese. My favorite is to use paneer as it holds its shape better. In fact, the store-bought paneer in my area is so dense, that it’s easier to use a cheese grater to be be able to form the mixture into circles.
(Farmers Cheese Consistency, Drained)
To prepare your cheese, place the cheese in-between a few squares of paper towel. Place something heavy (like a Dutch oven), on top of the cheese and let it sit for about half an hour. The paper towels should be soaked with the liquid and the cheese should have the same consistency as the picture above. When forming the Syrniki the cheese should not leave much residue on your hands. If it does, the cheese is still too wet.
These are very easy to make but they do take some practice! First, drain your farmers cheese as mentioned above. Place the cheese in-between a few squares of paper towel. Place something heavy (like a Dutch oven), on top of the cheese and let it sit for about half an hour. Add all of your ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until combined. You can use your hands or a hand mixer. Depending on your cheese mixture, you may need extra coconut flour for dredging. This is usually the case if you’re using ricotta cheese.
(Traditional Syrniki made with Farmers Cheese)
(Syrniki made with Paneer)
The authentic, traditional toppings for Syrniki are sour cream and jam. I prefer to mix my sour cream with a bit of keto-friendly sweetener (stevia, erythritol etc). If sour cream isn’t your thing, you can try Greek yogurt.
Of course other toppings could be maple syrup, honey or berries. Blueberries pair really nicely with the tang of sour cream! Enjoy these fresh off the pan or even cold as a snack on the go. They hold their shape quite well, so you can grab them and eat them whenever.
Ukrainian Keto Syrniki Recipe (Cheese Pancakes)
- 341 grams Farmers Cheese, Paneer, Dry Cottage Cheese or well drained Ricotta. See the notes above about how to properly prepare the cheese depending on what type you use.
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 tbsp Sweetener Stevia, Erythritol etc. To taste.
- Neutral Oil and Butter for Frying About 2 tbsp. Ex. Canola Oil or Grapeseed Oil.
- Place your farmers cheese in between layers of paper towel. Place something heavy on top (like a Dutch oven) and allow to sit for about 30 minutes. The paper towels should be soaked with the liquid.
- Once drained, the farmers cheese shouldn't leave too much residue on your hands. If it does, it needs to be drained for longer.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (except for oil) and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop the cheese mixture with a heaping tablespoon or ice cream scoop and shape the Syrniki into a small patty.
- Once the Syrniki is shaped, place them in the freezer for 5 minutes so that they hold their shape better.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with your neutral vegetable oil and butter.
- Once the oil is hot, place the syrniki into the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, berries or powdered erythritol, stevia etc.
- Can be eaten immediately or these are also great cold / room temperature as a snack on the go!
- 386 Calories
- 2.2g Carbohydrates
- 1.2g Fiber
- 30.6g Fat
- 21.8g Protein
- 1543 Calories
- 8.7g Carbohydrates
- 5g Fiber
- 122.3g Fat
- 87.2g Protein