These Beet Leaf Rolls are an interesting twist on the popular Ukrainian Cabbage Rolls and Beetniks (beet leaves wrap around dough). Our Keto Beet Leaf Rolls are filled with ground meat, cauliflower rice and dill. It is served with a delicious keto creamy dill sauce! This recipe is a great way to use up your leftover beet leaves after making borscht. It is easy to make and cooks in less than an hour in the instant pot or oven.
To prepare the beet leaves, first wash them and lay them flat in a large dish and pour boiling water over the leaves to blanch, about 1-2 minutes or until pliable. Remove them from the hot water and pat dry with a paper towel.
The filling is very easy to prepare! Mix the cauliflower rice, ground meat, onion, garlic, spices and egg together. Just a note on the cauliflower rice, if you are using frozen cauliflower rice, we recommend sautéing and draining the excess moisture. Let it cool before adding it with the rest of the filling. To avoid this extra step, we like using the Nature’s Earthly Choice Cauliflower Rice. It is pre-packaged, all that you need to do is drain the liquid and rinse! Another option is to use fresh riced cauliflower.
Luckily these Keto Beet Leaf Rolls are much easier to roll than cabbage rolls! Add about 1-2 tbsp of filling (this will vary depending on the size of your leaf) and roll like a burrito. Easy!
Creamy Dill Sauce
The dill sauce is what really pulls this dish together. The best part is that it comes together in about 5 minutes. To start, sauté the diced onions in butter. Add the cream and fresh dill (highly recommend using fresh dill here instead of dried). Bring the sauce to a light simmer, do not boil.
Oven: Fill a casserole dish with the rolls and a small amount of broth to cover the bottom. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes.
Instant Pot: Place the keto beet leaf rolls in the instant pot and fill with 1 cup of chicken broth. Top the rolls with a plate to tightly secure them (optional, but it helps!). Set the instant pot to high pressure for 25 minutes. Once the cooking is complete, turn the valve to a quick release.
We love serving these rolls with our Keto Vegetarian Borscht! It makes for a complete meal and together this is a great way to use up the beetroot and leaves.
Keto Beet Leaf Rolls (With Creamy Dill Sauce)
- Instant Pot
- 2 Bunches of Beets Make sure there are enough good size leaves to make about 27 rolls. We will use the leaves only. Save the beets to make Keto Borscht!
- 1 lbs Mixed Ground Beef or Pork (or mixed)
- 250 grams Cauliflower Rice
- 50 grams Finely Diced Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced.
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Dried Dill Or 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill.
- 1/4 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth Or enough to cover the beet leaf rolls.
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Dill Chopped.
- 1/4 Cup Diced White Onion
- 1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum Optional, to thicken the sauce.
- Salt Pinch, To taste.
- Pepper Pinch, To taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F if using the oven method.
Beet Leaf Rolls
- Lay beet leaves flat in a shallow baking dish and pour boiling water over the leaves to blanch. 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the leaves from the water and pat beet leaves dry with paper towel.
- Combine the ground meat, cauliflower rice, onion, garlic, spices and egg. Mix well.
- Take 1-2 tbsp of filling and roll beet leaf.
- Secure the beet leaves tightly in the instant pot and pour over the chicken broth.
- Top the rolls with a plate to secure them tightly while cooking.
- Set the instant pot to high pressure and cook for 25 minutes. Set the valve to a quick release once the cooking is complete.
- Holding the plate tightly to the rolls, strain the liquid from the pot, being careful to not drop any rolls.
- Place the rolls in a casserole dish with a small amount of broth to cover the bottom. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven 350°F for 40-45 minutes.
- Let the rolls sit for 15 minutes to set and slightly cool. Meanwhile prepare the creamy dill sauce.
Creamy Dill Sauce
- Heat butter in a saucepan and sauté 1 tbsp of diced onion, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add heavy whipping cream and bring to a light simmer, do not boil.
- Add fresh chopped dill to the sauce along with salt and pepper.
- *If your sauce isn't thick enough to your liking, you can add xanthan gum* to help thicken the sauce. About 1/8 tsp.
- Pour sauce over the cooked beet leaf rolls.
- 47 Calories
- 0.9g Carbohydrates
- 0.2g Fiber
- 3.4g Fat
- 3.3g Protein
- 1282 Calories
- 25.5g Carbohydrates
- 6.3g Fiber
- 91g Fat
- 90.4g Protein
Let us know in the comments below if you’ve tried our Keto Beet Leaf Rolls. We’d love to hear your thoughts!